Welcome To Disability Rights, Pets, Poetry & Art!

On this Blog, you will read Tamar Mag Raine's rants, raves, poetry, and articles. I hope you'll enjoy the blog, and please let me know what you think of it!

I have always known I was a writer, The computer has enriched my life by enabling me to write, and edit my stories easily. Then the Internet has changed my life by putting me in touch with other people with disabilities. This has helped me feel much more connected. So read, enjoy, and feel free to comment on my posts, and share your own ideas and life!

To Life, L'Chaim, Gracias a la Vida!


Mag's Zazzle Store


Create personalized gifts at Zazzle.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Life isn't a Fairy Tale (Article on Mentoring)

Wake up, my princess, there is no fairy godmother to turn your wishes into reality. Life is not easy and does not always seem fair, but everybody must deal with the cards they were dealt. There comes a time in all our lives when we must say, “Okay, that happened, now am I going to let it control my life, or am I going to take this issue by the horns and beat it?”

In my life I have mentored many people with cerebral palsy, which also happens to be one of my disabilities. Most recently, I mentored a young woman with cerebral palsy. No doubt Linda's family life could have been better. But it is what it is, and I try to get her to see through to the reality of her situation. We could discuss the WHY’s of her life, and discuss HOW people SHOULD treat each other until the sun freezes over, but it would not solve any of her problems. And, certainly, you cannot force anybody to love you. I am a bit like pop psychologist Phil McGraw, in that I like to cut to the chase, rather than sit on the proverbial psychiatrist’s couch and talk for years about what our family did to mess us up.

Now, let me paint a picture; Imagine being very, very intelligent, imagine being forced to go to a day program where many of the people have educational challenges. Imagine your mind does not get properly nourished. Imagine that the reason you are in the day program is solely because you need help going to the bathroom, and your support agency does not want to go to the trouble of hiring somebody so you can attend college… These are all some of the real issues that Linda was dealing with.

I began by telling her I know many people who have found innovative ways around these issues. I also tell her she absolutely has the right to request additional hours. I tell her if her support agency does not help her, she must go to the next level, to the Regional Center case manager. It took a few months, of repeating, over the phone or in Instant Messaging, over and over again, what steps she needed to take. Sometimes my assistant and I felt like a broken record, but she finally succeeded in getting more hours, and she made the decision to stop going to the day program, so she could attend the local college.

Another issue is where she lives. Currently she lives in a house that sits on a road with no sidewalks. She is completely dependent on either taking her own van, which her attendants drive, or taking paratransit, which is unreliable. Otherwise she is just stuck in that house, like a prisoner. There is no just going for a walk, because it would just be too dangerous to ride her chair on the busy road.

There were other things that were going on. I have tried to show Linda that the situation will be awful if she does not move NOW.  She knows it will be bad, and she knows if she stays there, without making her dreams real, she will die. Her spirit will die, and she will be very bitter, yet she feels responsible for her grandfather. The difficulty is that all section 8 lists in the area have been closed for years, and her support agency apparently didn’t know about EDEN housing, or below market rate housing, or any of that.

Due to my contacts from sitting on the disability commission for six years, I have been able to dig up resources for her. But, it is up to her to follow through on those resources, it’s not like I have a van and can take her to these agencies for assessments.

Another area we always come back to is how unhappy she was with her support agency. Unfortunately, the agency that supports me has a waiting list 30 people long, because it is the best one in the state.  But I happen to know a young man who started his own agency because of his own staffing needs. I have told her about his agency many, many times, and keep telling her to call the guy. For some reason, she hesitates, even though her attendants do not understand why she is so unhappy, and why she wants to go out and meet people and have a social life! They have refused to take her to clubs even though she is 26 years old. So, for many months she has sent me instant messages me about how this one did this, and that one does that. I firmly kept telling her, “Linda, your agency is the cause of most of your aggravation, and your tears, you have every right to fire them, and hire a new agency. You even have a right to change Regional case managers." I don’t know what’s holding her back, I suspect, though, it is fear of the unknown.

I tried to build her self esteem by teaching her some of the principles of rational self-interest. I let her know that it is sad that her sister, whom she practically raised, does not want to spend time with her. I acknowledged that she has a right to feel hurt, but then I said, okay – it looks like you just need to let go, and get out there and make friends with people who do want to be with you.

I told her it is okay to put your needs and desires first; you have every right to take care of yourself. Of course it isn’t right that those of us with disabilities have to fight so hard for what seems so basic a right; the right to pursue our dreams. But after acknowledging that life is hard, and reminding her that nobody promised us a garden of roses, I always push her to continue setting goals for herself. One step at a time, one day at a time, one week at a time, goal setting and strategy continue to be key.

I began by telling her she needs to speak up, and make her wishes known. With each obstacle she encountered, I told her to keep going. I tell her she must continue to speak up, and be forceful in obtaining her dreams. I listen with compassion, but sometimes firm, tough love is needed. She has a tendency to get stuck like a broken record, and ask; “BUT, WHY?” this or that happens. It is at these points I tried to push her beyond the WHY, toward the steps she needs to take to obtain services, or whatever she wants to attain.

I got frustrated with her at times, because she complains about things, but then does not follow up on suggestions I give her. I was talking about it with my assistant, and I said, "You know, I can only do so much, it's not like a fairy tale, I can't just wave a wand and make her problems go away. I'm not her fairy godmother; she has to do some of the work.

We must all do as much as we can do. Maybe what we need to do is become our own superheroes, our own fairy godmother. Just like Glinda told Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, she always had the power within her all along, to go back home. Back in the 70's there was a song called Tin Man, and ever so often I hear a stanza in my head;
“Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man,
That he didn't, didn't already have....”

It means the Tin Man always had a heart, the Scarecrow always had a brain, the Lion always had courage, Dorothy always had the power to go home, and when they were tested on their journey those things became apparent. The Wizard of Oz is a great, classic example of seekers who go on an adventure, and on the way, discover many things about themselves.

I have always been honest and forthright. I have always been willing to work hard at whatever I set my mind to. I thank my lucky stars every day that I learned to be my own self-advocate from my parents. They went to bat for me, many times. Having cerebral palsy has been hard at times because people always underestimate you. They see the uneven walking gait, they hear the garbled speech, and they make dozens of assumptions, based on what things look like on the outside. Every day I beat down the door and I follow my own path. Those of us with disabilities always have to work ten times as hard just to live an ordinary life.

All I wanted when I was younger was a job. Few were willing to even interview me. That's tough, life isn't fair. I had to deal with the cards I was dealt at birth. I kept trying different things, I didn't give up. I now have my own business. I have told my young friend some of what I’ve had to go through to get what I want and need, so that she can see that persistence does pay off.

My passions are writing, art, and disability issues. I am trying. I am currently in the process of writing a business plan. I never dared call myself an artist before, I now believe I am an artist. I never thought of myself as a businesswoman, either, but now I consider myself a businesswoman. It is not easy. As a business owner, you are responsible for everything. You are responsible for knowing all the nitty-gritty details of the products, marketing, and advertising. It's up to you to run the tests and the numbers. It's up to you to network, to get exposure, all of it. I still can't multiply, but I can look at the stats for my websites and see whether people responded to my ads or not, what search terms they used and so forth. I enjoy the challenges now.

More than ever before, I see that I must be the self-leader.  Just like the many young women I have mentored over the last twenty years, I sometimes have to push myself to be more assertive to get what I want in my life. Sometimes you just wish people would do what they’ve promised. You wish you didn’t always have to be the ground-breaker. You wish people would understand what you go through. Sometimes you get weary, and you do want an easier life, and at times wish you had a magic lantern or a fairy godmother to wave her wand and make everything go your way. But of course, as the saying goes, easy come, easy go.

And that is the problem with these fairy tales, with movies, and TV shows; they feed you the idea of no effort - easy money, and set people up to be bystanders in their own lives, and not know it takes a lot of work, a lot of effort to be successful in this world. For some of us, the journey is longer and harder due to physical disabilities, societal prejudices, and accessibility issues, but when we do end up achieving our dreams, and living the life we are meant to live, our successes are that much greater and sweeter.

The thing I tell myself, as I guide Linda to becoming her own best advocate, is no matter what issues come up, the focus is always to be on taking the next step. Isn’t that interesting? The particulars for each individual’s struggle to become the person they are meant to be, may differ greatly, but as long as we all keep taking one more step, and then another and another, until we reach our destination, like the old-fashioned foot traveler. We may decide at any moment to alter our goals, to try something else, to go in a different direction, but as long as we keep moving, eventually we will meet with success.  So, when Linda earned an A in her English class, she was so proud of herself, proud because she did it all herself. We just have to keep building on that success. I have no doubt that whatever field she decides to go into, she will be very successful.

My mother really drummed it into my head that life is not fair, but with hard work we can succeed.  I appreciate all my mentors for teaching us that the easy way is not the most rewarding, that hard work is good, that finding what we love to do – our passions, will turn hard work into our greatest joy, and thus when we have that downstream focus, work becomes play.

(C) Tamar Raine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great article -- so practical. I notice that you are learning from being a mentor -- learning to set limits and see what you cannot do. I deeply appreciate your patience and persistence with the person you are mentoring. Adrienne