Welcome To Disability Rights, Pets, Poetry & Art!

On this Blog, you will read Tamar Mag Raine's rants, raves, poetry, and articles. I hope you'll enjoy the blog, and please let me know what you think of it!

I have always known I was a writer, The computer has enriched my life by enabling me to write, and edit my stories easily. Then the Internet has changed my life by putting me in touch with other people with disabilities. This has helped me feel much more connected. So read, enjoy, and feel free to comment on my posts, and share your own ideas and life!

To Life, L'Chaim, Gracias a la Vida!


Mag's Zazzle Store


Create personalized gifts at Zazzle.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

An Unexpected Blessing

I have been having difficulty with the seat of my power chair for some time now. Just after I had my first hip replaced, I received a new cushion that had been ordered prior to my surgery. And therein lies the problem or at least part of it. I was away in hospital and rehab centers for about a month, using my manual chair while there. That cushion on my manual chair also leaves a lot to be desired; it's okay for short shopping trips and doctors appointments, but I have had the same seat, since I inherited the manual chair from a cousin's mother in 1987! So I had forgotten what a good chair cushion should feel like when I finally was able to get home and sit on my new cushion. Oh the joys of gel on a sore rear end! However as time went on, I realized that my rear end was not fitting the indentation properly. I theorize that my new hip made my behind wider, since I was always needing to stand up and mush the gel around. I tried calling the chair place, but the company had been sold, and I was told they no longer accepted medi-cal. So in between trying to figure out what to do about it, and attend water-therapy for my hip, as well as looking for a home to buy, and finding a condo, and moving in to it,time marched on.

In October 2009, I had my other hip replaced, and if I wasn't fitting my chair before, now it was even worse, plus I am pretty sure the gel sack had broken. Anyway it had become torture to sit on the cushion with much wider or fuller hips. The chair place came by with a new cushion, but as it was only two inches thick, I knew my body would get even sorer when I go out in the neighborhood, so I refused it. In March I saw a doctor who said it would take five days to send a referral to be evaluated for a new seating system. Well, five days turned into 25 days. I even saw my regular doctor who I really like, and regularly refer to other people with disabilities because he really listens. He said he would fax it over to the PT at the hospital. Well, it took him a little longer than a week, but I see what probably happened. He had to have somebody look up all the codes for my many spine issues, (which are depressing to read!)

But, I didn't know how much longer it would take to get the referral, and then to get into see the PT at the rehab center, so after my Feldenkrais lesson on Monday, I was determined to give my rear-end a break, and went to the Foam Factory, to look at getting a temporary solution. So, I asked the guy to show me some memory foam. I was hoping that an 18 X 18 inch piece would be priced so I could afford it. He said it would be $57.00. I was not surprised, but I was not happy either. I asked him if he had anything cheaper. He said, yeah, but they won't feel the same.

Another customer had overheard my conversation with my assistant and the employee, about how I didn't know how much longer it would take my doctor, and he said to me, "I'd like to buy it for you." I was very surprised, I didn't quite know what to think. He was a very nice-looking man, stocky, African American, with a nice smile. Then I recalled several other instances where strangers wanted to give me something, and my dad, who was a psychologist had told me to accept their gifts because it makes people feel good to give. So, I said, "Are you sure?" He smiled and said yes. So, I came home with a lovely piece of memory foam, which is fine for around the house, but because it sinks, not enough by itself for when I go for walks.

My mail yesterday contained that referral, so today my assistant took it to the rehab center and I have an appointment in May sometime. Needless to say, I'm glad I have the memory foam, and look forward to paying the gift forward, in some way. After I get a new cushion for my power chair, I'll use the foam for my manual chair.

Thank you, kindly, sir!
April 20, 2010

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope that handsome young man reads this blog!